Sam Barlow High School
About the Project – Planned Improvements:
The new school design puts student learning, access, health, safety and security as a top priority. The school will be barrier free to anyone with mobility, vision or auditory limitations. Student, teachers and administrators will have access to all community building gathering places. The partially replaced high school will create an easily monitored environment where administrators and teachers are comfortable in knowing who has been greeted and screened to enter the school. Clean indoor air quality and access to day-lighting will reduce absenteeism, improve classroom teaching and test scores.
The focus of improvements to this project will be in four key areas: new and renovated classrooms with modern technology, remodel and expansion of arts and theater spaces, safety and security improvements campus-wide and major improvements/additions to the stadium and track.
Completed by the start of the 2019-2020 School Year:
New Addition: 20 new classrooms (12 standard, 8 science-focused)
New field, stadium improvements completed in time for start of 2019 football season
New Bus Loop
Check out these photos of the completed new wing of Barlow High School! There are 20 brand new classrooms (including six science and two chemistry classrooms). Construction crews finished renovations to the CTE building last fall; major renovations completed to the Woods and Metals classrooms. Barlow now has a brand new auditorium, new art classrooms and special ed classrooms, and a renovated courtyard. Construction crews have also finished a new covered stadium that can seat 1500 people with new turf, new stadium lights, and a new concessions building.
(Aerial Photo Credit to Lease Crutcher Lewis)
In the past few months, the construction team has focused on the New Science Building (Sector G), renovations to the auditorium and the stadium. The last concrete The last concrete deck pour for the New Science Building occurred in late January. Demolition of the Auditorium walls and seating is complete and the installation of structural supports for the ceiling acoustical panels and wheel chair lift has begun; the new auditorium is slated to be open to students at the beginning of the next school year. The covered grandstands for the Stadium will be delivered later this month after the final concrete slab pour is complete.
Members of the Gresham-Barlow School Board received a tour from construction crews, and got the chance to sign beams inside the building.
February 2019 – Snow!
January 2019 – New wood shop provides career education, life skills for Barlow students
Sam Barlow High School students returned to campus this fall to find numerous construction projects underway. Barlow’s renovated wood shop opened to students this semester, as part of the renovations to the Career and Technical Education (CTE) space.
Josh Pikop, Barlow’s woods teacher, has six classes of students this semester. His students are learning in a renovated wood shop complete with new tools, better dust collection, increased shop square footage and all new electrical systems. “With changes in the structure of the shop, we have more workspace for students,” said Pikop. He also downsized the unnecessary tools in the classroom, allowing for a better work flow. The change also makes it easier for Pikop to better monitor the students and ensure they have the support they need.
This story is available in full online here.
August 2018 – Demolition Complete, CTE spaces nearly finished
July 2018 – Construction, Demolition Underway
- 400- and 500- wings of Barlow High School have been completely vacated. GBSD is completing the process of salvaging contents that are to be reused, including wireless access points and flat panel TV screens. Classroom contents are being stored in the cafeteria for the summer.
- Temporary modular classrooms are being delivered and setup in the main parking lot.
- Gym flooring installations continue.
- CTE classrooms undergoing hazardous material abatement
June 2018 – Groundbreaking Ceremony
“Starting this summer, Barlow’s auditorium will undergo a substantial overhaul that will replace sound equipment, lighting equipment, and build much larger dressing rooms. The renovated space won’t be open until 2019, but the renovations will also provide Barlow with a new black box theater. This flexible performance space will be used as the Barlow drama classroom and for smaller student performances.”
October 2017 – Community Helping Shape Barlow’s Upcoming CTE Classrooms
“As a part of the 2016 school bond, Sam Barlow High School will undergo a major renovation. That renovation includes what Principal Bruce Schmidt calls “a game-changing” investment in Barlow’s Career and Technical Education (CTE) facilities.”
June 2017 – First Community meeting a success
On June 14, 2017 parents and interested community members had an opportunity to meet with the architects and project managers to hear about the exciting plans for the future of Sam Barlow High School and provide feedback on the proposed designs.
Community and Stakeholder Involvement
Sam Barlow High School Staff and Stakeholder Planning
At the request of the district, Principal Bruce Schmidt convened a visioning group as well as a number of focus groups made up of SBHS teachers, parents and staff to advise the district on their needs, desire and priorities for the GHS bond project. These teams have spent numerous hours working with the architects and construction management team to provide important feedback as the design phase of the project has progressed.
- Visioning Team – the visioning team met on 3/1, 4/26 and 5/31 to review and provide feedback on the proposed scope and design of the project.
- Focus Groups – From February 1 – April 26 the design and management team convened 13 focus groups in the following areas: Facilities, Performing Arts, Administration, PD/Athletics, Media Center, Commons, Manufacturing/Wood/Engineering, Business/Marketing, Family/Consumer, Science, Special Ed, Counseling, Stadium.
- Parent Outreach – April 21, 2017 – Open House with 8th Grade Night
- Parent Outreach – June 16, 2017 – Community Meeting and Open House
- Monthly updates to all staff on progress including input at staff development meetings.
- March 21, 2017 Public/Parent Presentation
- June 16 , 2017 Public/Parent Presentation
Board & Community Input
- February 17, 2017 Board Retreat Project Overview and Introductions
- April 6, 2017 Board Meeting Project Update a
- June 8, 2017 Presentation of Schematic and Design to Board
Home of the Bruins
Cornerstone Management Group
Lease Crutcher Lewis
GBSD Community Relations
|Pre-Design / Design / Bid-Award|
|Construction / Closeout 21 Months|