Sam Barlow High School
About the Project – Planned Improvements:
The new school design puts student learning, access, health, safety and security as a top priority. The school will be barrier free to anyone with mobility, vision or auditory limitations. Student, teachers and administrators will have access to all community building gathering places. The partially replaced high school will create an easily monitored environment where administrators and teachers are comfortable in knowing who has been greeted and screened to enter the school. Clean indoor air quality and access to day-lighting will reduce absenteeism, improve classroom teaching and test scores.
The focus of improvements to this project will be in four key areas: new and renovated classrooms with modern technology, remodel and expansion of arts and theater spaces, safety and security improvements campus-wide and major improvements/additions to the stadium and track.
August 2018 – Demolition Complete, CTE spaces nearly finished
July 2018 – Construction, Demolition Underway
- 400- and 500- wings of Barlow High School have been completely vacated. GBSD is completing the process of salvaging contents that are to be reused, including wireless access points and flat panel TV screens. Classroom contents are being stored in the cafeteria for the summer.
- Temporary modular classrooms are being delivered and setup in the main parking lot.
- Gym flooring installations continue.
- CTE classrooms undergoing hazardous material abatement
June 2018 – Groundbreaking Ceremony
“Starting this summer, Barlow’s auditorium will undergo a substantial overhaul that will replace sound equipment, lighting equipment, and build much larger dressing rooms. The renovated space won’t be open until 2019, but the renovations will also provide Barlow with a new black box theater. This flexible performance space will be used as the Barlow drama classroom and for smaller student performances.”
October 2017 – Community Helping Shape Barlow’s Upcoming CTE Classrooms
“As a part of the 2016 school bond, Sam Barlow High School will undergo a major renovation. That renovation includes what Principal Bruce Schmidt calls “a game-changing” investment in Barlow’s Career and Technical Education (CTE) facilities.”
June 2017 – First Community meeting a success
On June 14, 2017 parents and interested community members had an opportunity to meet with the architects and project managers to hear about the exciting plans for the future of Sam Barlow High School and provide feedback on the proposed designs.
Community and Stakeholder Involvement
Sam Barlow High School Staff and Stakeholder Planning
At the request of the district, Principal Bruce Schmidt convened a visioning group as well as a number of focus groups made up of SBHS teachers, parents and staff to advise the district on their needs, desire and priorities for the GHS bond project. These teams have spent numerous hours working with the architects and construction management team to provide important feedback as the design phase of the project has progressed.
- Visioning Team – the visioning team met on 3/1, 4/26 and 5/31 to review and provide feedback on the proposed scope and design of the project.
- Focus Groups – From February 1 – April 26 the design and management team convened 13 focus groups in the following areas: Facilities, Performing Arts, Administration, PD/Athletics, Media Center, Commons, Manufacturing/Wood/Engineering, Business/Marketing, Family/Consumer, Science, Special Ed, Counseling, Stadium.
- Parent Outreach – April 21, 2017 – Open House with 8th Grade Night
- Parent Outreach – June 16, 2017 – Community Meeting and Open House
- Monthly updates to all staff on progress including input at staff development meetings.
- March 21, 2017 Public/Parent Presentation
- June 16 , 2017 Public/Parent Presentation
Board & Community Input
- February 17, 2017 Board Retreat Project Overview and Introductions
- April 6, 2017 Board Meeting Project Update a
- June 8, 2017 Presentation of Schematic and Design to Board
Home of the Bruins
Cornerstone Management Group
Lease Crutcher Lewis
GBSD Community Relations
|Pre-Design / Design / Bid-Award|
|Construction / Closeout 21 Months|