North Gresham Elementary
About the Project – Planned Improvements
The North Gresham Elementary community will be getting an entire new elementary school in time for the 2019/2020 school year. This is an excited opportunity for students, staff, parents and community to shape the future of their neighborhood school for years to come.
The guiding principles of the design are:
“A beautiful, inviting and safe school that supports learning and includes unique spaces that invoke a special sense of pride”
Based on these guiding principals the design team has focused on 4 key improvement areas for the new North Gresham Elementary School:
- Better Student Flow: Create a dynamic school with classroom and grade layouts the facilitates collaboration and learning.
- Daylight and HVAC systems: Studies have shown these are key factors in improving learning environments.
- Improved Learning Environment: Consistent and right-sized learning spaces with modern technology.
- Safety and security improvements: This includes secured entry to play fields and playground as well as a secured entry and vestibule.
- Separation of Music and Gym
- Community Interaction with Building: Improved bus parking and parent pick up
On June 19, the design team convened a neighborhood meeting to review the proposed project goals, scope, timeline and impacts.
On October 25, representatives from BBT Architects provided an update of the North Gresham ES project to the Bond Oversight Committee. The slides from their presentation are available HERE.
Community and Stakeholder Involvement
North Gresham Elementary Staff and Stakeholder Planning
At the request of the district, Principal Tracy Klinger convened school district advisory group (SDAT) as well as a several focus groups made up of NGES teachers, parents, staff and stakeholders to advise the district on their needs, desire and priorities for the NGES bond project. These teams have spent numerous hours working with the architects and construction management team to provide important feedback as the design phase of the project has progressed.
- April 11, 2017 – Open House at NGES
- June 19, 2017 – Community and Neighborhood Meeting
Home of the Stars
GBSD Community Relations
|Pre-Design / Design / Bid-Award|
|Construction / Closeout 21 Months|